GNM is an entry level course to get registered as nurse and get job as staff nurse in India. This is an 3 years duration course. General Nursing & Midwifery (GNM) course is to be phased out soon. But at present you can take admission in GNM course.
By 2021 B. Sc Nursing will be the minimum qualification to get registered as staff nurse. You can read more about this here GNM Course In Nursing To Be Eliminated By 2021. But course at present is running and valid. View the course and GNM colleges details below.
Eligibility And Educational Qualification For GNM course
- Minimum and Maximum age for admission will be 17 and 35 years. There is no age bar for ANM/LHV.
- Minimum education:
- 10+2 class passed preferably Science (PCB) & English with aggregate of 40% marks.
- 10+2 in Arts (Mathematics, Biotechnology, Economics, Political Science, History, Geography, Business Studies, Accountancy, Home Science, Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy) and English Core/English Elective or Health care Science – Vocational stream ONLY, passing out from recognized Board under AISSCE/CBSE/ICSE/SSCE/HSCE or other equivalent Board with 40% marks.
- 10+2 vocational ANM under CBSE Board or other equivalent board with 40% marks.
- Registered as ANM with State Nursing Registration Council.
- Student shall be medically fit.
- Students qualified in 10+2 Arts or Science examination or Health care Science – Vocational stream ONLY conducted by National Institute of Open School with 40% marks.
- Student shall be admitted once in a year.
Scope And Prospects Of GNM Course
Currently there is scope of GNM in India both private and public sector. The starting salaries in private sector range from 20000 rupees to 40000 rupees per month. In government sector from 40000 to 65 thousand per month.
GNM Midwifes and nurses are appointed as:
- Staff nurse
- Health Visitors
- Community Health provider
Promotion opportunities are less if you do only GNM course. You can get higher education After GNM nursing course. B. Sc Nursing post basic is meant for GNM candidates. You can do it regular for 2 years or 3 years through distance learning ( correspondence). After it you can even do M. Sc Nursing.
Promotion avenues in India after GNM Course, followed by sufficient experience and higher education are following:
- Sister In charge
- Assistant Nursing Superintendent
- Deputy Nursing Superintendent
- Nursing Superintendent
- Chief Nursing officer
After higher qualification like B. Sc nursing post basic and M. Sc. Nursing education field can also be pursued, starting as nursing tutor. Future promotions are as senior nursing tutor, Nursing professor etc.
List Of GNM Colleges
Here we are giving list of GNM colleges. These GNM colleges are approved by Indian Nursing Council. So they are safe to take admission. After that we will give fees and admission procedure.
Admission Procedure And Fees Details For GNM Course
Admission process for GNM course is simple.Three ways are followed by nursing institutes to take admission.
- Direct admission to GNM: Direct admission Policy is followed by many GNM Nursing Schools. If you satisfy the eligibility criteria you can apply directly for GNM course admission. Merit list is prepared on the basis of marks secured in 12th class.
- Entrance test by State Governments: Some colleges take admissions on the basis of entrance test conducted by respective states.
- Entrance test by colleges itself: Some reputed institutes follow their own screen process to take admission like entrance test and interview.
GNM Course Fee is minimum range from Rs 45,000 P/A in government colleges upto INR 2.5 lakh per annum in private colleges.
You May also Like: