Indian Nursing council is taking necessary steps to phase out the 3 year duration GNM course In India by year 2020-2021. So, The General Nursing And Midwifery GNM course will be eliminated soon.
The plan of council and government of India is to convert the 3 year GNM course into 4 year duration course B. Sc. Nursing in all existing Nursing schools. So in near future B. Sc. nursing will be the only entry level course in nursing profession, in India.
The move is seen as a step in right direction for better patient care and also in the interest of nursing professionals. You can view the notification issued by Indian Nursing council below. this notification makes the stand clear.
The Following points can be considered in the favor of this move.
- It will bring uniformity in entry level qualification
- GNM is an outdated course. B. Sc Nursing is more suitable for the modern healthcare needs.
- Updated qualification will enhance the skills of new nursing professionals thus ensuring better patient care.
- B. Sc. Nursing course in addition to bridge course enable the nurses to serve as community health provider.
- It is expected to harmonize and enhance the career aspect of nursing professionals.
So all schools of nursing will be converted to colleges of nursing. We advice new students to take admission in B.Sc Nursing rather than GNM to keep up with the these modern developments in nursing.
You May Also Like: